Engagement Party in Istanbul, Turkey
In Turkey the Engagement party is extremely important and often couples will spend thousands having the most expensive party to celebrate families coming together. It is seen as far more important than the proposal as it is when the families agree that their children can join in marriage.
In this post I will outline the days leading up to and including my Engagement party with my beautiful wife-to-be!
1st February 2017 – Getting the rings!
On this day we went to pick up our Engagement rings which we had ordered the week before. We would have done this a lot earlier, but due to living in different countries this was made very difficult!
So, firstly, let me explain the rings that used for a marriage in Turkey. Like England, there are only two and these are:
- Proposal Ring. Generally (but not always) given by the Man to the Woman whom he wishes to Marry
- Engagement Rings. Both the Man and Woman get an Engagement ring which is worn on the ring finger on the right hand. When the couple have the legal marriage the ring simply moves from the right hand to the left to indicate that they are now married.
Above you can see our “Engagement rings” for our ceremony. We chose white gold rings as it fitted best with Demets Proposal ring.
2nd February 2017 – Removing the beard!
This morning we had a not not-so-typical Turkish breakfast which you can see on the left below. We also decided that it was time for me to cut my beard which I had become rather fond of in the past few months, but it would have been very disrespectful to not shave for the Engagement Party. As a reward for shaving, I was treated to a few laps of Go-karting! Which conveniently was right next to the barber that I went to in Torium Shopping Mall!
This day was for purchasing last minute decorations and final arrangements for the following day. Below you can see Demet and her father holding our helium inflated Initial balloons! We actually had to bring those to the house in the back of a taxi, which was quite a task in itself!
3rd February 2017 – The Engagement Ceremony
So 3rd of February 2017 was the big day where Demet & I would be joining our families together, and I have never been this nervous!
Above you can see some of the decorations that we had purchased for the day including our cake and the coffee cup which we use as tradition. These were custom made to order by Demet’s mother who organised much of the event for us.
The structure of the ceremony went as follows:
- Guests & Family arrive and have food together.
- The Father of the Groom-to-be asked permission three times from the brides father for their children to marry.
- The bride to be makes a Turkish Coffee for her groom which includes salt, spices or a lot of sugar. He must drink it to show that he will support her no matter what.
- The man & woman stand together in front of their guests and the eldest member of the family ties a ribbon between the two Engagement rings. He then cuts this ribbon as a sign of their relationship beginning.
- Cake & Tea is served to celebrate the newly engaged couple.
- Gifts are exchanged between the couple
Below you can see Demet giving Luke the Salty Coffee. At the moment however, I did not know what was in it! I was hoping it wasn’t spice.
Below are some pictures from the social part of the event including drinking tea, dancing and giving gifts.