The Blue Evil Eye in Turkey
I write this post as if you travel here it is inevitable that you will see the Evil Eye in Turkey and Istanbul is no exception!
The foundations of the Evil Eye is that locals believe that if someone does not like them or is envious towards them they give the “Evil Eye”. This means that they will wish bad fortune towards them.
Because of this, a popular tradition has arose which is to keep this Blue Evil eye shown above with them at all times in the hopes to ward off bad wishes! You will see this evil eye in many places and occasions such as:
- Buses – The driver may keep some to surround him
- Taxi’s – Again, the driver may have it surround him to ensure his journey is safe
- Weddings – People wear this to protect their special day and wish well for the future.
- Presents – This is a popular gift that locals give one another
History of the Evil Eye in Turkey
- It could be said that the origins of the Evil Eye actually comes from the Ancient Egyptians where they would put dark makeup (an eyeliner of sorts) around the eyes to prevent evil from entering.
- The Greeks would paint eyes on ships to prevent any misfortune whilst out at sea.
Hope you enjoyed this post. Don’t forget to get yourself some evil eye’s for yourself and gifts for others!